Before contacting us, please visit our FAQ page, to see if your question can be answered.
The best way to contact us is via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include your name and phone number (We check our email more often than our answering machine).
IMPORTANT: If you are contacting us about surrendering or turning in a dog to us please read the following before emailing us.
1. We only take in Pure GSDs. They don’t have to be papered or AKC registered but they have to look like a Pure GSD. We have been a non profit rescue in Burbank for over 30 years and people only come to us looking for Pure GSDs
2. All owner surrenders / turn ins must be spayed or neutered. If the dog is too young to have that done we will ask for a spay / neuter fee of $250.00 to have it done at a future date.
3. All dogs must have a current rabies vaccine certificate that does not expire for at least 2 months. (Please note the lot expiration on the certificate is different than when the rabies cert. expires so please check the document closely. You can always email us a copy of the cert. if you are not sure.
4. The dog must be well socialized and good with other dogs and people. If steps 1-3 above are met you will be asked to bring the dog into our Burbank facility during our normal hours of Saturday and Sunday from 1-5 PM and we will temperament test the dog. The dog will not be accepted if it shows signs of aggression towards our volunteers or other dogs.
5. When emailing us please attach a photo of your dog and specify age and gender.
6. If accepted we ask for a $100.00 donation to help care for the dog. We are an all volunteer operated rescue and we operate solely on donations, adoption fees and the time donated by our wonderful volunteers.
7. If your dog does not meet any of this criteria mentioned above please don’t contact us. You can try other rescues or take the dog to your local animal shelter. We are a small rescue and only have space for 18-20 dogs at a time. We need to have a strict screening process in order to adopt dogs out to their forever homes ASAP and in turn we can save more dogs.
We don’t take in strays or found dogs so if you found a dog and were unseccesful in finding it’s owner you would need to claim the dog as your own, meet the above criteria and turn the dog into us as if you were the current owner.
If you are asked via email to bring your dog in for evaluation and decide not to show up at the day you were told (usually the next day we are open) please let us know ASAP so we can save another dogs life. All owner surrenders are handled on a first come first serve basis.
These precious creatures don’t have a voice so we need to do everything we can to get them their forever home.
If you don’t have a computer or access to email please call us at the number below during our normal operation hours
You can call us at the Burbank facility during our adoption hours of Saturday and Sunday from 1-5PM. Our Burbank number is 818-558-7560
If you are calling to drop of donations you can drop them off any Saturday or Sunday from 1-5PM
Please leave a message if no one is available. We receive dozens of calls daily and do our best to return them all. During the week when we are not open to the public please leave a message and a volunteer will return your call in 24-48 hours. If you are calling to adopt please fill out an online application first.
You can always write us a letter and send it to:
German Shepherd Rescue
417 N. Moss Street
Burbank, CA 91502
Please include your phone number if you would like us to call you.